Sunday, June 7, 2009

World Environment Day

Last week, when a friend asked me to join a team in a competition -

Me: Do what mia?
Friend: Bio competition.
Me: Eyer duwan la, must study everything ALL over again.
Friend: No no, Puan Chang said only chapter eight and nine.
Me: *o.O* Eh, isn't that . . . the easy easy wan?
Friend: Yeah, exactly. It's not difficult ma.
Me: Um, how wan ah?
Friend: Objective questions, 50 of them. 
Me: Hmm . . . Free ah??
Friend: Yeah la, no need to pay.
Me: Ooh. Okay!

So. I went home and didn't do anything about it until last Wednesday morning - 3rd June (day of the competition). I didn't finish chapter nine though. Anyway . . . Jonie and I tumpang Phaik Chern to INTI (competition place). When we got there, I really didn't expect us to win anything much, or anything at all. After all, I syok syok join nia.

Then we were asked to go to the "MPH" (Me: Hah? MPH??) - "Multi-Purpose Hall" (Me: OHH cheyyy.) where we sat down at tables. And on the tables were sheets of objective answer . . . sheets. I already had my Bio book with me - yeah the thick, green one. All I didn't have was the question paper, or I would've happily started my own open-book test. After much ado, we were asked to split and sit further apart. Sadly enough, we weren't allowed to have our book with us. No open-book test for me boohoo. Then we were handed the question paper and off we went!

It was not so much a Biology test as it was a World Environment Day test. I realized it only after I reached the, um - 10+th question. (Adui, why I go and read all the colonisation-succession *bla bla bla*??) After the pollutants part was over, there were questions like: How many people starve to death each day? How do I know?? Nobody knows that! I mean, do you?? There was also: What is the world's population number? I answered 10 billion. The answer was 5 billion. =.= Anyway, it lasted for about an hour. A lot of the questions were NOT related to what I had so hurriedly read earlier that morning.
 
They announced the results after our tea break. Individual winners were announced first. Guess what! Our very own Menakaa got FIRST PLACE! Boy, was I happy for her. What a very pleasant surprise. She didn't even read anything! Jonie was going, "At least our school get something la hahahah!". And I was going "Yayaya." After that, they begin to announce the winners for overall best groups, and I begin to feel this tiny spark of hope, that we were going to get something after all.

Heheh, mana tau! They announce announce d, and we turned out as the champion!! Oh, I was so so happy I squealed like a dunno what. Wah, I really didn't expect anything k. We got a group trophy and RM100. Plus a hammock. Yes, a hammock. ONE hammock. What, they think we girls have some compressible body mechanism? That we, the 5 of us, can all fit into ONE hammock? XD
Nevertheless, it was ours, and I am PROUD we won!! Well, here are some photos I took with my handphone.


Top: Empty envelope bearing the words GROUP CHAMPION
(LOL they're gonna send our money to the school la.)
Bottom left: Menakaa's first place trophy
Bottom right: Our group champion trophy


Here, take it in. Take it all in.
(GROUP CHAMPION!)


Still snug in it's envelope - our purple hammock.
It's purple. AND it's ours XD


This is their sandcastle competition winner.
No, we didn't build it - just thought it was interesting.


An army troop marching out of the sandcastle (or in?)


And finally, US! The brilliant, wonderful environmentalists of the day!
All smiles, as you can see.
And if you notice the height curve . . .

6 comments:

SYmPLiMe said...

I miss you all

eevy said...

congrats my darling! :D

Esther said...

awww... Maria.. :(((

Anyway, a HAMMOCK???? Are the people crazy or something? At least donate a new skeleton or something. Something Bio related.. but a hammock??! This must be some message telling you all to go home and enjoy the rest of the holidays... XD

NXY said...

then then why you never come back to visit us leh?? =(((

YEAH THANK YOU. YOU KNOW IT'S ONLY FOR YOU XD

what skeleton?? what are we going to do with one?? aiyo the hammock...maybe they want us to sleep outside ma, don't sleep inside then on air con

Tysle said...

Congrats, congrats and congrats! :D

NXY said...

hello tricia. you just came back? and from WHERE may i ask?? XD